As the snow starts to melt and the weather gets warmer, many homeowners begin to find mold growing in their houses, specifically in lower levels, such as their basement. As soon as you find even the smallest bit of it, you NEED to remove it immediately to prevent any damage or health hazards.
That’s when you need to decide…should you hire a professional or should you do it yourself? Before you start, you need to know what options you have.
It’s okay to clean mold by yourself when…
- Each section of mold (if more than one section) only covers a small area.
- The mold is growing on an easy to clean surface, like glass or windows, metals, floor or wall tiles, tubs, sinks, or similar materials.
- The mold is visible on a surface that’s hard to clean, but easy to replace or remove from the house such as carpet, old furniture, window screens, shower curtains, etc.
- The mold is growing on something that can be thrown out, such as toys, equipment, books and related items.
- You have no health concerns that removing mold will put yourself in danger, such as asthma, mold allergy, pregnancy or any respiratory issues.
- It’s a small type of mold such as mildew that won’t make anything rot, but is an easy clean up.
You should hire a professional if…
- The mold takes up an area bigger than 3 feet by 3 feet (according to the Environmental Protection Agency). The larger the mold, the easier it can spread.
- The mold is circulating inside your HVAC system.
- You find the mold in a hard to clean spot, such as grout lines in bathrooms, drywall, house siding, damp wood, etc.
- You find mold after a flood or around an excessive amount of water that also needs to be removed.
- You have a health concern that prevents you from safely cleaning, such as asthma, mold allergies, pregnancy or any respiratory issues.
- You are sick, suffering from a runny nose, sneezing, wheezing or related symptoms.
If you choose to clean up the mold in your home, be sure to take proper care of it. Use the appropriate products recommended for mold removal and clean up any debris. Wear gloves and older clothes that you can throw out after cleaning. Turn off any air conditioning or heat when cleaning so extra particles don’t get caught up in your air system.
Cleaning up mold is time-consuming and if you feel you don’t have the energy to finish the job or aren’t sure how to do it yourself, hiring a professional like Perfect Basement is the best option for you. We will do our own investigation to figure out what type of mold is in your home and will use the correct, professional and safest procedures to remove it.
The most important thing is SAFETY. Whatever mold removal process you choose to take, just be sure to do it correctly to prevent future harm.
If you want a certified professional to remove mold from your home, contact us at 888.665.3259, or online at perfectbasement.us/free-inspection.